I really really like this recipe. It's very moist and fluffy, perfect for cream cheese frosting, 7 minute frosting or my all time favorite! swiss buttercream from Smitten Kitchen
Madeira Cake Recipe (8" round, 7" square)
adapted by "the essential guide to cake decorating". I absolutely love this recipe!!! This is great for novelty cakes for kids~~ :p
250g softened butter
250g caster sugar
185g plain flour
60g self raising flour
1 tablespoon of milk
baking time: 1 hour and 25 mins
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Grease tin and line with baking paper.
2. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs one at a time. Then remove from mixer, add flour using a spatula or wooden spoon.
4. Lastly stir in milk.
5. Transfer batter to tin. Remember to smooth the surface by using a spatula or try dropping the tin several times on the hard surface to remove air bubbles in batter.
6. Bake for about 1 hour and 25 mins.
7. After baking, leave to cool in the tin for at least 5 minutes, before turning to wire rack to cool.
Later on, i covered the cake with white fondant to hide the flaws of my frosting :p
The finish masterpiece..